University of Technology, Sydney

Staff directory | Campus maps | Newsroom | What's on

Preparing for exchange

Overseas semester dates

Semester start and finish dates vary between continents:

  • Australia (UTS)
    • Semester 1: February-June
    • Semester 2: August to November
  • North America
    • Semester 1: January to May
    • Semester 2: August to December
  • Asia
    • Semester 1: April to July
    • Semester 2: October to February
  • Europe (Varies)
    • Semester 1: January to June
    • Semester 2: September to January

Back to top


It is important to plan a budget and prepare for your time abroad by researching the cost of living in your host country. The cost of going on exchange can vary considerably depending on your destination and on the factors listed below:

  • Cost of living in country
  • Your lifestyle
  • Current exchange rate
  • Type of housing/accommodation
  • Travel plans in addition to your travel to host country

As a general rule you will need approximately AUD$10,000 for 1 semester of exchange. However, it is recommended that you research the costs associated with going on exchange by reading the partner university feedback provided on UTS Online.

While you won't pay tuition fees at your host university, you will still pay your regular tuition fees at UTS. Some countries, including the USA, require you to provide evidence that you are able to support yourself financially when you apply and may ask that you purchase additional insurance and or pay a fee at the host institution to cover extra-curricular programs or student union activities.

Back to top

Health and travel insurance

UTS provides all exchange students with comprehensive health and travel insurance. Also UTS partners with International SOS (opens an external site). ISOS is a 24 hour emergency resource centre. Some partner universities may require you to take out additional compulsory insurance. You can find more information about UTS insurance by attending the compulsory pre-departure workshops where you will receive the Insurance Guide, or from the UTS Financial Services.

International Studies students continuing on exchange after In-country Study need to return to Australia to be eligible to receive UTS insurance. Travel insurance cover is available for maximum 365 days from the date of travel for each period overseas. Students need to contact UTS Insurance if they have questions regarding this:

Back to top

Passport and Visa Information

You must have a valid passport and for some countries a student visa. Your Exchange Officer will notify you when your acceptance from the host university is received. You can then apply for a visa or residence permit if required. Visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (opens an external site) to learn more about visas and to find your nearest embassy or consulate.

If you are an international student you may need to be in your home country when applying for a student visa. Contact the embassy or consulate of your host country to find out more.

Back to top


Once you have a valid passport and visa (if required) you can book and pay for your flights. Try to book a flight close, but not too close, to the orientation period.

Back to top


To get a feel for where you'll be studying, it's a good idea to organise temporary accommodation that you can stay in for a few days before orientation.

Once the semester starts, your accommodation options will vary depending on where you're studying. Some unis provide on-campus housing in student dorms, while at others you need to find your own. More information can be found by reading and previous student feedback and by researching housing options at the host institution.

Pre-departure Pack

The information in these documents is also provided to the students at the Pre-departure workshop.