University of Technology, Sydney

Staff directory | Campus maps | Newsroom | What's on

Rural students

For rural students who are dependent on their parents, the family assets test (opens external site) applying to dependent Youth Allowance recipients takes into account current market values, net of business or farm related debt (this valuation disregards the principle family home and up to two hectares of surrounding land). The limit is currently set at $627,000 for most families and is indexed each year.

Further to the above, a 75 per cent discount is applied when assessing business assets, including farm assets.

Centrekink offers various support services to the remote, regional and rural student and family. These may include Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY, and Relocation Scholarships to assist the cost of moving for higher education studies.


 Exceptional Circumstances Relief Payment

Support is available for children of farming families or a rural small business owner receiving Exceptional Circumstances Relief Payments or Farm Family Support.

Under such circumstances, student children may be exempt from the parental means tests for Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY and may also be eligible for the Relocation Scholarship and the Start Up Scholarship administered by Centrelink.
For more information call 132 316 or ask at a service centre.